Thursday, February 4, 2010

What's My Story?


I've had about a week and a half of unemployment this time around and so far, it's been pretty good. The last job at the video game company where I was getting home at late everyday really made me not do anything at home! I forgot how nice it is to be at home on a weeknight and have dinner with my husband! Anyway, I was really excited this week because it was my aunt's birthday and my cousin invited me to dinner on a Tuesday night. If I was at that job, I most likely would not have been able to make it to dinner and I definitely would not have been able to make these DELICIOUS cupcakes that I found online! Mmmmmmmm...buttermilk cupcakes with chocolate cream cheese frosting...Thanks Pat and Gina Neely! Tasty!

Anyway, back to the topic at hand..."What's My Story?" I had a phone interview yesterday morning and leading up to the interview, I was stressing about what my story was. I was wondering if the recruiter was going to ask me why I was only at the last gig for 2 months before I quit and I was trying to think of how I was going to spin it besides just saying that I worked for a Douche Lord. Should I say that it was just a contract position? Should I say that the work/life balance wasn't there? Should I just say it wasn't a good fit?

Well, it turns out I didn't have to say anything at all. I said that I was there for 2 months and was now looking for new opps and she didn't question me at all! I wonder if this is because there are such high turnover rates at companies these days and it's not uncommon to leave anymore? Is this because of Gen Y!?!? In any case, I'll take it! I still have my version of the story to share, and I probably will have to refine it a little more, but I definitely don't think this aspect of my job search is going to hold me back. My technical skills on the other hand...hm...well, we'll just leave it at that for now.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Thanks so much for the link to the cupcakes! I'm totally going to try those. I was even thinking trying to post a food blog a few times a month on my blog. I've discovered a few new good recipes...and who doesn't love food?

chrrrrrs said...

i heart food...probably too much! i'm obssessed!! and my new obssession is roasting whole chickens!!! they taste so good!!!

Anonymous said...

Just ran across your blog-I'm also an unemployed MBA thinking of starting a blog (bc I have so much time now!). Keep up the writing. It's good to know that someone else is going through the same thing.

Just read your post about quitting your new job and I totally relate. I've been unemployed, by choice (left my job), for 5 months. A stupid move given the economy?...perhaps. But hey, life's too short to not be doing something you love. Plus, I too have a supportive hubby.

Best of luck in your search!

chrrrrrs said...

Thanks for reading! It's so exciting to me when someone reads my blog!

I didn't know if I would like the blogging thing much, but I think it's fun and it's so much easier than to tell your story over and over again. It's also an outlet for all my complaints so that my husband doesn't have to hear it all the time!

Good luck to you too!